Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Magazines at Project Gutenberg

As I was pondering whether or not to renew my subscription to Asimov's at Fictionwise next year, I wandered over to my Yahoo RSS feed and saw a new upload of Strand Magazine at Project Gutenberg. The Strand, among its other achievements, was the publisher of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, and it occured to me that those who like such things would very likely find other gems in these old periodicals. Magazines tend to publish fiction thematically; if you like one of their staples, the others are likely to be in a similar style and feel. So it can be a great way to discover new authors and great new stories.

I'm thinking of picking a year and seeing how I do with a Gutenberg 'subscription.' Perhaps I could do it as a book club with my readers here. Every month, I'll post the issue corresponding to the year in question, and we can read the magazine together and discuss it collectively, perhaps in a Yahoo Group or smaller such venue. So, faithful readers, anyone interested? I am thinking of starting with Atlantic Monthly magazine, as there are several consecutive complete years available beginning in 1859. Comment or message me if you think this might be a fun year-long venture. I can set up a Yahoo Group if there is interest.

2 comments:

Hubert said...

I would be interested, count me in!

Eleanor said...

I would definitely be interested, but would really rather a proper forum than a yahoo group.