Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Review: Calling by Jack Brokenshire


Calling is a book came recommended on the Mobile Read forums and had good ratings at Fictionwise. I found it a little disappointing. The concept was clever enough: a man discovers his old cell phone can call heaven, and drama ensues. But it was written in an odd narrative style: all telling, no showing. The man just narrates what happens. The result for me was a sort of distance from the story. I never quite bought into the characters as real people with real lives. The tiny details that make characters come alive for me---routines, descriptions, dialogue, names----just weren't there. And toward the end, it got a little preachy.

I did find it an interesting little read. But I don't know that I would shell out for it again, in hindsight.

No comments: