Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Review: Damage Control by J.A. Jance


This novel is part of Jance's Joanna Brady series. I've read the whole series and enjoyed it, so I was happy to see a new-ish one!And how was this series after such a long delay? Not bad. The mystery held my interest, and Joanna's personal life saw some progression, with some major changes in her world set up by the novel's end. I would have loved to see minor characters like her daughter Jenny or her friend Marianne take more prominent roles than they did. Marianne is a new mom too, and they could have gone somewhere with that. And there was scope for Jenny to be more involved than she was. Joanna is at her most human when the mom button gets pushed, and saddling her with a cranky newborn for most of the novel didn't do it for me. I'm glad I read it, but it certainly wasn't worth $17. If it weren't for these micropay sales, where I basically get the book for near free because I spend the credit on other things, I'd be getting books like this from the library.

No comments: