Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Misc: My E-Book Starter Kit

A game came up on a message board I frequent, where the following question was posed: let's say that you were some famous celebrity promoting the cause of literacy, and as a prize in a charity fund-raiser, you were asked to donate a library of up to 25 beloved books, hand-picked by you. What would you choose? I thought I would take this into the e-realm and see what sort of starter kit I could come up with for an e-book newcomer if I were putting together for them a little package of great reads. And I am even including links to all the titles on my list (and to freebies, where one exists!) so if anyone wants to take me up on this, they can download at will. My list is a mix of classics, contemporary literature and light sci-fi/mystery usually with a somewhat quirky or fun, but decidedly mainstream leaning. Ready? In no particular order...
  1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (free)
  2. The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
  3. Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
  4. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (free)
  5. The Great Santini by Pat Conroy
  6. The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
  7. The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
  8. Wicked by Gregory MaGuire
  9. Three Plums in One by Janet Evanovich
  10. The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (free)
  11. 1984 by George Orwell (free)
  12. Overclocked by Corey Doctorow (free)
  13. Naked in Death by J.D. Robb aka Nora Roberts
  14. City at World's End by Edmond Hamilton (free)
  15. Story of my Life by Helen Keller (free)
  16. Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (free)
  17. Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi (free)
  18. The $30,000 Bequest and Other Stories by Mark Twain (free)
  19. The Golden Treasury edited by Francis Turner Palgrave (free)
  20. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum (free)
  21. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
  22. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
  23. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery (free)
  24. The Stand by Stephen King
  25. The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayam by Edward Fitzgerald (free)

No comments: