Friday, October 17, 2008

Admin: Some FAQ's Answered

I am gratified and blown away by the huge response to this blog so far! It's motivated me to post my first review already. I've had some questions I want to answer. Then you can expect another review this weekend!

Q: Will you still be posting links to free books?

A: Yes, absolutely! I do have a backlog right now of books I have paid for, though. I'll want to read through some of those first, before I go trolling for more freebies. But yes, I do enjoy the classics and am always on the lookout for more Creative Commons licensed titles.

Q: I am an author/publisher. Can I send you a review copy of my book? Will you review it?

Yes, you can send it (preferably in eReader or Word/Text format) and I will happily review it. I will, however, disclose in the review that I obtained the book for free. And I can't promise that the review will be to your liking. I'm honest about both the good and the bad when I review. If something didn't work for me, I'll say so.

Alternatively, if you are a vendor/publisher and you are interested in being reviewed here, let me know if you have a policy on review copies, and I'll keep it in mind when I am looking for new material.

Q: Will you post an ad for my book?

No. If you send me a generic email that says 'hey, my book just came out and it is on sale here' I will probably ignore it. My intent with this blog is to provide real critique and information for customers, not to advertise. If you want me to genuinely review your book, see above.

Q: I run an ebook website. Will you promote it for me?

Again, I don't 'promote' but I 'review.' If you think your site might interest me, you are welcome to send it my way, but I make no promises that I'll post about it, or that you'll like what I say if I do. Sites that involve 'registering' or 'creating an account' in order to use them are less likely to catch my interest, but I do enjoy hearing about other blogs and boards.

Q: I wonder if I have any books I can recommend to you. What sorts of genres do you read?

I'm all over the place. Most often, I read mystery/suspense type of things, with a smattering of non-fiction and mainstream novels. I don't generally read formula romance sci-fi---I don't have a rule against them, per se, and do at times enjoy certain novels. But those are not generally my 'thing' and the ones I do enjoy tend to be more mainstream in their presentation. I do enjoy the paranormal stuff, though---psychics, ghosts, aliens, people with magical powers etc. Those can be great fun. Mainstream, but quirky often works well for me. Or, sci-fi based in a world that is almost (but not quite) like ours.

Q: Who are some authors you enjoy?

Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb, Margaret Atwood, Douglas Coupland, Connie Willis, Mary Doria Russell, John Scalzi, Neil Gaiman, Charlaine Harris, Sue Grafton, older Patricia Cornwell, Kelley Armstrong, Janet Evanovich, Stephen White, JK Rowling, Jonathan Kellerman, Michael Ondaatje. Alexander McCall Smith, J.A. Jance, M.C. Beaton, Jodi Picoult, Gail Bowen...

Q: What's on your to-read list?

My recent as-yet-unread Fictionwise purchases include:
  • Thee Plums in One by Janet Evanovich
  • I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson
  • Dirty Blonde by Lisa Scottoline
  • Death Perception by Victoria Laurie
  • The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue
  • The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
  • Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
  • Eragon by Christopher Paolini
  • Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman
  • Disappearing Nightly by Laura Resnick
  • The Remains of the Dead by Wendy Roberts
  • Blind Faith by Colin Harvey
  • A Strange Valley by Darrell Bain
I'll try to prioritize my reviews on books which are not for sale at Amazon and do not have reviews available elsewhere.

Q: Who do you work for?

Although I am a former journalist who has written for a variety of major and minor markets, I left that field two years ago and work as an elementary school French teacher. I love my job! But if you're asking 'are you a shill for Fictionwise/Amazon/X Author/X Website?' then NO! I do some occasional volunteer contributions for the Teleread blog, but that is the extent of my 'journalism' right now. I buy my e-books, same as you. When I don't---either because the book is free in general, or because I obtain a review copy (which has already happened with one title) I will tell you so. But as I said above, I can't be bought. If you send me a review copy of a book and I don't like it, I'll say so in my review!

That's it for now! Other questions? Leave me a comment and I will save them up for the next post.

1 comment:

Rob Preece/BooksForABuck.com said...

Hi Ficbot,
BooksForABuck.com makes limited numbers of review copies available and I'll certainly be happy to include you on the approved reviewer list. If you see any of our books you like, please send me a request. I'll be happy to send them to you for free.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com